Friday, December 18, 2015

I got into mystery novels the same way everyone does, by reading them. However, I'm still not sure what exactly hooked me into the genre. Was it the suspense, that feeling of your heart pounding in your chest when you don't know what's going to happen next? The fear, when a new body appears and there's still a killer on the loose? Or maybe it's the thrill of the chase, right when you get to the end of the book, when you're so close to finding out the truth, but you're just not quite there yet? I may never know, but I'm going to try to find out.
"What are you reading?" My friend asked me, with a curious tone in her voice, "You seem to be so invested in the story."
"A mystery," I replied, "it's riveting, so full of suspense and the unknown. It's interesting, it's sucked me in."
"What's it about, a murder? Is there a killer? Who do you think it is? What's you're favorite part so far? I ne-" she stopped talking when I gave her a cold stare. "I should stop talking, probably. Sorry, I'll let you get back to your book." She walked away.
I thought about her questions some more. It was about a murder, and there is a killer on the loose. I'm still not sure who the killer is, but I have a few theories. My best bet is the victim's shady friend, he always left me on edge. My favorite part was when the detectives found that one clue, the one that made the victim's friend look even more guilty. I've got to keep reading, I have to find out the answers to all these questions. It dawned on me then that I didn't know what my favorite book was. Was it the first one I read ever? Or maybe it was that one I read last month that I finished in a day. Maybe it was that one I read finished last week. So many choices, and so many more to read! I thought about it some more, then chose a favorite. I kept on reading the book I had in my hands.
I had finished reading for the day, and got up out of my chair to go inside. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed another girl reading a book. I walked over to her.
"Hey, I noticed that book you're reading, is it a good one?" I asked her.
"Yeah! It's my favorite!" She replied enthusiastically.
I smiled at her and walked inside, and got back to reading.
I sat down inside and opened my book again, but I didn't read a single word. I thought some more about how much I love to read, how I like to get lost in the story, how I can connect to the characters. I smiled to myself, and got lost again in the book in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment